Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Life Lessons from a Serious Shopper



Like so many other women (and men) out there, I love to shop. That is sort of an understatement. I think that every day that passes without some form of shopping is somewhat of a failure. I always seem to know what it is I'm looking for, especially when it comes to clothing, down to specifics. Unless it fits exactly to my criteria there is no commemoration. When I do find something, I know instantaneously. I only need to try it on for size. If you are a salesperson don't even bother trying to sell it to me. Simply, consider it sold. After the thrill of the purchase itself (that instant when I sign the receipt or punch in your debit card number, when I know that out of all the 7 billion people in the world it belongs to me) there are one of two things that normally happen. The first one is to go straight into the next store (or restroom), find something in there to try on and quickly change into the new purchase. Or, two, as soon as you get to the car (as long as the parking lot isn't super busy) sneakily change into your new purchase. If by chance I can't change right away, the drive home is painful in such a gratifying way. I get so anxious to wear it that my stomach will feel nauseous with excitement. This is how I know I've just made a perfect and preeminent purchase. Do I have issues? Ahh... probably but I'm dealing.

Just today I drove to Toronto to go shopping with my mom and sister. I knew exactly what I was looking for. Jeans. Boyfriend-style, bootcut, slightly light acid wash destroyed jeans. Shouldn't be too hard to find. Now I should also mention that I have a slight obsession with looking for one certain pair of jeans. Slightly baggy semi-distressed, light weight jean...and here's the clincher...with thick elastic cuffs around the ankles. This is my 'specialty item' that I have been searching for (literally around the world) for the past 4 years or so. I don't go to shops and say "today is the day I am going to find my cuffed jeans." I know that it is too rare and too special an item to make a special trip to find just this. Plus, when you put time restraints on finding your 'speciality items' you will only set yourself up for failure and disappointment. Not to mention the emotion issues attached with arriving home from shopping empty handed. Regardless, lately I have been totally consumed with finding these unique jeans. Entirely obsessed to the point that I have gone so far as to consider asking my tailor to alter a pair jeans to fit my desired end-product.

The first store I went into (without any difficulty) I found my light acid washed-destroyed boyfriend-cuts. And what a great price too. Only $49.95! I haven't found jeans that cheap for years... Perfect. I throw them on the card and feel very accomplished. I know that it isn't a life altering purchase because my stomach isn't twisting and turning as I leave the store. Onto the next store. Our main goal is to find my sister a dress and they are heading for one shop in particular. But as I pass a clothing display on our right my whole world seems to slow down to a blur. Time continues to exist around me but my entire being was zoned in on One Thing. I hear myself say to my mom and sister "go on to the next store. I'll meet you there. I have to go in here." I go straight to the guy behind the register and ask one simple question while pointing to one of the mannequins. He waves me to follow him as he searches the store. My breathes are getting shorter, I'm so close to finding perfection. There is a small panic amongst the sales guy and another sales girl. The next thing I know he is taking something off the mannequin and bringing it to a change room in the back. I slip into the change room and quickly wiggle out of my over-worn skinny jeans. My life returns to normal speed and I become conscious of the fact I'm wearing the last pair of a perfect fitting "slightly baggy, semi-distressed, light weight jean"...and heres the clincher... they have thick elastic cuffs perfectly hugging my ankles. I keep them on until my mom and sister come looking for me. They are perfect. They are beyond perfect. They are more then worth the 4-year wait. The 4-year search around the world. I don't even care that they are $249.99. They are worth every penny. My stomach jumps a little bit as I sign the receipt. I can't wipe the smile off my face. The whole ride back to my sisters house, I feel like I am going to throw up out of excitement. I know that I have made the perfect purchase.

So, you ask, how is this tale about me spending all my money a life lesson? It made me start to think about things that I wait for in life; an amazing career, a perfect home, a great adventure, a relationship where there is no spec of doubt. Don't ever stop the search at less then perfect. Do not settle for second best. I could have stopped looking at jeans after my first purchase. They are comfortable jeans, not the most comfortable but not horrible. They are stylish, but not truly unique. They are great jeans, but they are not the "One" pair I've always dreamed of. Nobody deserves to settle for second best. YOUR perfect pair of jeans is out there too. It could take 4 years to find, it could take 40 years to find. But the moment it has been found there will be zero doubt in your mind. There will be no need for alterations. You won't need to fix the hem. The colour will be exactly what you want. You will want to wear them every single day and you will always love them... So though my quest for the particular 'specialty item' has ended I have many more items on my shopping list to tick off. I hope that one day all of them are success stories just as today was.

No comments:

Post a Comment